I am a huge fan of baking vegan muffins…and even a bigger fan of eating them. Experimenting with with interesting flavors is a lot of fun for me. That being said, I’m the most enthusiastic about this classic flavor combo: banana nut.
There’s nothing quite like the flavor and aroma of ripe bananas and walnuts – especially when paired with a cup of coffee!
These muffins take a small plot twist though. The plot twist? A dash of chocolate in the form of chocolate chips and a little bit of crunch in the form of a banana chip. The addition of the banana chip on the top takes these over the edge! It’s such a simple addition, but it changes the game.
- 2 cups all purpose flour*
- 1½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅓ cup coconut oil, melted
- 4-5 ripe bananas, mashed
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup plant based milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- 12 banana chips
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Lightly grease muffin tins or line with muffin liners.
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large bowl, beat the sugar and oil together, and then add the mashed bananas. Stir in the water and vanilla extract.
- Add the flour mixture, along with the chocolate chips and walnuts to the wet mixture.
- Fill each muffin tin ¾ way with batter. Top off each muffin with a banana chip. Bake 20-30 minutes.