Red Lentil Chili Soup
Author: Jill Runs on Plants
Recipe type: Soup
Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten Free, Oil Free
This red lentil chili soup is a great low calorie soup that's full of plant protein and fiber!
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 5 cups vegetable broth, split 1-4
- ½ cup grape tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 cup frozen corn
- (2) 10 oz cans diced tomatoes with jalapeno peppers*
- ½ cup red lentils
- 2 cups spinach
- Saute onion and bell pepper in 1 cup of vegetable broth for 3-5 minutes.
- Stir in chili powder, oregano, garlic, smoked paprika, salt and pepper.
- Add grape tomatoes, corn, diced tomatoes, and the remaining 4 cups of vegetable broth. Bring to a boil.
- Add red lentils. Reduce to a simmer and over. Cook for 15 minutes.
- During the last 5 minutes, stir in spinach.
- Enjoy! Serve over polenta and top with cilantro, pickled jalapeno peppers, and avocado.
* Don't have diced tomatoes with jalapeno peppers? Sub for plain diced tomatoes!
Serving size: 1 serving Calories: 118 Fat: 0.7 g Carbohydrates: 23 g Sugar: 5 g Sodium: 382 mg Fiber: 5 g Protein: 7 g