I am a HUGE soup addict. My soup season is year-round, but it is that time of year where everyone else starts craving cozy soups! Typically, I steer clear of super creamy soups because they tend to be pretty calorically dense, but this vegan broccoli soup is creamy and low-calorie. The addition of the almond milk and the oats make this soup thick and satisfying.
Plus, you really only need 5 ingredients plus spices so… what are you waiting for?!
Keep in mind that this soup is only around 100 calories, be sure to round out your meal with some sides! I like to serve this soup with a side of creamy polenta or a slice of lentil loaf. In the picture below, I served it with a slice of The Vegan 8’s lentil loaf and it turned out really delicious.
What is nutritional yeast?
Nutritional yeast is the inactive form of yeast. This is NOT the same as the yeast you would use to bake bread with. You can find it it most health food stores or grocery stores, but if you can’t find it near you, you can certainly order it online!
How to use it:
A lot of vegans use nutritional yeast to replace a cheesy flavor (which is why I used it in this recipe) but it can be used in a ton of different ways. I sprinkle it on nearly everything: avocado toast, grains, potatoes, popcorn, cooked veggies, etc.
Most nutritional yeast is fortified with B vitamins like thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, vitamin B6, folate, and vitamin B12, which is perfect because nearly everybody (not just vegans) are deficient in B12!
Nutritional yeast also has a ton of plant protein. In 1 tbsp (5g) of nutritional yeast, there is 3g of protein. Isn’t that nuts?
Sprinkling a tablespoon or two on top of your favorite dishes is such a great way to add flavor and extra nutrition to your meal!
- 1 large onion, chopped (222g)
- 2 1lb bags of frozen broccoli (896g)
- ⅓ cup gluten-free rolled oats (27g)
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 2 + ½ cup vegetable broth
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp dried chives
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- optional: garnish with fresh chives
- Over medium to high heat, add the chopped onion and ½ cup of vegetable broth. Stir occasionally and cook until translucent (about 5 minutes).
- Add the frozen broccoli, oats, unsweetened almond milk, remaining vegetable broth, dried chives, garlic powder, smoked paprika, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, lower to a simmer, and cover. Cook for 30 minutes.
- Stir in nutritional yeast.
- With an immersion blender, desired consistency. Alternatively, allow the soup to cool and blend in a regular blender!